lundi 19 août 2013

The Spice of Life is an open mic night!


Last week, I went to an open mic night for the first time and it was surprisingly amazing: this might be one of the best ways to discover new talents and new music!

Eight pm, a bar called “The Spice of Life” near Leicester Square. It is a Monday night but the streets are packed with people. Entering that quite common-looking pub, the fun is just a door and a staircase away.
Downstairs, it feels like I’m on a movie set: the atmosphere is the one of an underground bar during prohibition. Small tables shared by small groups, a bar with a small counter, soft lights, candles and a small stage, just a couple of meters away from the front row tables.

The first to take the stage and face their audience is a duo called “Sally”: they’re the union between a flamenco guitar player and vocal harmonies. The first song was not a big hit but the second one, an impressive and original reprise of “Imagine” by Lennon, left us all gob smacked.
Jaz came second: his energy and humour left their mark. While playing the piano like a manic, he got us all interacting and singing with him. He sang “She broke my heart” and we went “Awww”; he chanted “She was engaged” and we replied “Boooh”. Quite a good sing-along if you ask me.
Then came Sarah, from the band “Paper Aeroplanes”, dressed in a long black skirt and a funny sweater showing a monkey wearing tasty pink glasses. I might not be very objective because I love their music dearly. I discovered them recently and would advise you to check them out: they’re insanely good!
She sang 4 songs including “Circus” and “Little Letters” and an exclusive-never-played-before-song. My favourite, thought, has to be “Fable” because the lyrics caught me off guard and brought many sweet thoughts back to my head. Hiding behind a guitar that seems way to big for her and looking quite frail, Sarah gave an excellent performance despite the stress (it was her first open mic nigh too!).



I stayed a bit longer to listen to a band made of four young guys. They didn’t have a band name and I apologise for not remembering their names. They were really good and I’m pretty sure these guys will meet success very soon. Thank God, I’ll recognize their faces and will be able to correct my paper…Their vocals and music were great and left me wanting more.

I have to say that this open mic night was a thrilling experience! It has to be done at least once. This is such a great idea for a date… And if you love music, I truly believe that this is the new way to discover good music!

Miss DiversiT

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire