dimanche 17 janvier 2016

Star Wars: The Force Awakens…and the storyline weakens

I am grateful for my friends who did not spoil me any bit of the story before I got a chance to see the film in theatres. Write a review without giving any major plot elements away? Challenge accepted!
 


My parents were in their early twenties when Star Wars: A New Hope was released. It was the end of the year 1977; the beginning of a thrilling saga; the birth of a phenomenon that would impact generations; a mythical story had arisen!

I was, just like millions of people, super excited to see the latest instalment of Star Wars. My parents kindly brought me their DVDs when they visited for Christmas and I have binge-watched the films in preparation for episode 7.

What a wonder to get the story straight, to remember how it unfolded, to meet Han Solo and Chewie in that dodgy space pub again, to appreciate Leia’s buns and Jabba the Hutt’s floppy and squishy body.



Last night was the night where, my brain filled with all the details of the past episodes, I finally got to catch up on Star Wars. And…to be honest…I am still unsure, 24 hours later, as if I liked it or not. I have a billion questions in my mind and I think the story repeated itself way too much. Almost as if Disney was aiming at a brand new audience, at people who have never seen Star Wars, at a younger generation who couldn’t care less about the past of Anakin, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Leia, Luke, Han, Chewie, R2D2 and C3PO…

I didn’t dislike all of it: BB8 is the cutest thing ever; a black stormtrooper feels somewhat liberating; Han Solo and Chewie still have it; the space battles are still breathtaking.

I totally understand the rules of marketing and the importance to sell and make big piles of money. But I will never agree to butcher a wonderful saga on the altar of dollars…I am a bit upset because my dad introduced me to this story and I grew up loving it. It is part of my film awakening and I hate when people shit on what I am very fond of!

My advice would be to go see the film if you haven’t seen the precedent episodes in a long time (and the story feels a bit blurry to you); or if you have never seen a Star Wars film. Otherwise, you can just wait for the DVD to come out…



Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire