mardi 6 novembre 2012

Will you have a Bugg for Jake?


I heard about Jake Bugg just a couple of weeks ago. Story is: I had just gone to an Ed Sheeran concert and I was telling my friend how good it was and how I was impressed by how talented he was, despite his young age. She then told me about Jake, saying that he was just 18 and “talented as fuck” (just quoting her!).
Thing is, although I’m sure we all have a favourite musical genre, I think we should open our minds to any kind of music. I’m going to steal Morrissey’s answer when, during an interview, he was asked if he had a message for his fans: “Yes, don’t be a musical snob! Just because you like The Smiths music doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t try listening to classical music or even heavy metal. The only way to build up your preferences is by listening to anything and everything. Don’t be narrow-minded and don’t listen to things just to be trendy. Hopefully you’ll remain loyal Smiths fans - but you’ll also gain a bit more musical knowledge”.

So, following these words of wisdom, I gave Jake a shot…
First, I wanted to find out more about him. It’s always good to have some background and it sometimes add more sense to the artist’s music. Jake Bugg is, indeed, 18 (or 19, there is no precise DOB given).
His interest in music blossomed when he was 12: he heard a song on “The Simpson’s” and started learning the guitar – I don’t know about you, but this kid is already growing on me! - He also began writing lyrics and developing his singing. He is British, from Nottingham to be precise. His career started when he was chosen by the BBC to perform at the 2011 Glastonbury Festival. At only 17, he sang in front of the crowd as an “Introducing stage” act. And that is how he was discovered and signed by Mercury. His first eponym album was released just two weeks ago.

Now, I feel like I know enough about this enigmatic singer/songwriter/musician to actually listen to his album. His songs definitely are from another era: it seems like he is some sort of reincarnation of Bob Dylan! His voice is deep and warm and his music sounds like it’s been recorded 45 years ago…
I have a few favourites though: “Two Fingers” is a very catchy tune with a Sixties feeling. “Broken” makes me think of a sad love song; it’s quiet and a bit depressing (not too high on a scale from “Apologise” by One Republic to Adele’s “Someone like you”). Then, there is “Note To Self”, which is just amazing: very catchy, great lyrics and, again, that Sixties vibe. “Seen it All” is more of a rock and roll song, with fantastic drumming and a very-easily-stuck-in-your-head chorus. Finally, I’ll mention “Someone Told Me” because it’s exactly the kind of song I adore: it gives me that warm feeling in my belly and that sort of overwhelming emotional wave (does that make sense to you as well?!).


In the end, I’m really glad I got to listen to Jake Bugg’s “Jake Bugg”. His music has a Sixties vibe, his voice is incredibly deep for an 18 year old lad and the lyrics are very good, just like Jake had lived ten other lives before this one! He is a true artist who gives himself totally into his music. If you’re just a tad bit curious, go and listen to his album!

Finally, if I had to resume this record with one sentence, I’d say that it makes me want to book a flight to California and take a road trip all the way to New York. Hope you’ll get that same vibe!

Miss DiversiT

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire